The Bro App

broappOkay, this is either really hilarious… or really sad.

It’s called the BroApp. A couple of Australian tech guys noticed a market for a product that would help irresponsible “bros” text their girlfriends regularly to tell them they care.

Hmmmmm… I’m not sure if this is the same thing as when I used to hide little love notes in my wife’s luggage before she left on a retreat.

It’s like this. You select your girlfriends number, some messages, and the time of day you want those messages sent to her. BroApp does the rest.

Yeah, in other words, you can have the BroApp send, “Thinking of you!” next Tuesday morning at 10AM.

It’s just another “bro” looking out for you, right?

The BroApp even has safeguards to make sure you don’t mess it up. For example, you can enter in your girl’s wireless so it detects it and won’t send to her while you’re with her (that would be a little awkward to be on the couch with her, with your phone across the room… and she receives a text from you!)

All the details are in this little piece by CNET (ht Ypulse.com).

So what do you think? Is it pathetic… or a good idea? Is it thoughtful for your man to send some timed messages to you ahead of time… or just lazy?

About Jonathan McKee

president of The Source for Youth Ministry, is the author of over a dozen books including the new Get Your Teenager Talking, The Guy's Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket, The Zombie Apocalypse Survival Guide for Teenager, and youth ministry books like Ministry By Teenagers, Connect: Real Relationships in a World of Isolation, and the 10-Minute Talks series. Jonathan speaks and trains at conferences, churches and events across North America, all while providing free resources for youth workers and parents on his websites, TheSource4YM.com and TheSource4Parents.com. You can follow Jonathan on his blog, getting a regular dose of youth culture and parenting help. Jonathan and his wife Lori, and their three teenagers Alec, Alyssa and Ashley live in California.
[Are you getting this daily blog in your email inbox?] If not, it's real easy-go here.
This entry was posted in Humor, Jonathan's Rant, Marriage, Smartphones/Cell Phones, Youth Culture. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Bro App

1. Matt Van Winkle says:

This is most definitely the greatest invention ever.

2. Christine Kindlesparger says:

My husband sent out timed messages through his email on Valentines Day. I loved it that he even thought to do it. I think it’s ok. Sounds fun!

3. Mark Ferry says:

Don’t tell Amie!

4. Joan says:

Umm, cant wait to use this, and Im a woman. My husband is far more sentimental than me, remembering anniversaries and often saying “I love you.” I adore him but just dont tell him enough.

5. Shane Hetherington says:

I could see it being taken any way. As Christine said, some could find it wonderful that the person thought of it. On the other hand, I could see some people thinking it was lazy. Would I personally use it? I don’t know, I’ll have to answer that when I get a girl to sent the messages to :-)

6. Noowl says:

Does it really enhance relationships to assign this role to a device? Where is all this leading? We pay $4 for a greeting card company to put words that we can’t take the time to compose, and only have to sign our names, and that is perfectly acceptable, isn’t it? Maybe it’s just a convenient device, simple as that- or not? I’m with Jonathan, I don’t know.
    The bigger picture about technology-assisted living is explored in an article here- http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/03/why-its-ok-to-let-apps-make-you-a-better-person/254246/

7. TJ Boston says:

Brilliant. Needs to detect the proximity of their cell instead of just a WiFi signal, though. I wonder if it has a randomizer to vary the days/times? I may use it to send those little rememberances to kids at college that I never think to send except when they are in classes. As long as it doesn’t ask for crazy-intrusive permissions, I’ll install it right now.