Top 10 Reasons Why Growing Up in the 80’s Ruled!

Ever just feel like ranting? I’m in a ranting mood. And as a child of the 80’s (well… that’s when I was a teenager anyway), I miss those good ol’ days.

So here’s my top 10 list of why it was waaaaaaaaaaaaay better growing up in the 80’s!

10. Every morning I got up, opened the paper to the comics, and read a Far Side Tale.

9. I could go to a video arcade and play Mrs. Pac Man, Frogger, and Donkey Kong. What the heck is there now!!

8. Movies were $4.50

7. I had 4 TV channels, and there was way more on! (The Incredible Hulk, The Greatest American Hero, The A-Team, Magnum P.I., Remington Steele, The Fall Guy and The Cosby Show… need I go on?)

6. I walked home from school… and no one thought it was unsafe!

5. Vaurnet Sunglasses!

4. Michael Jackson was alive… and black!

3. Teenagers could drive their friends around the day they got their license (and I did!)

2. The words “school” and “shooting” had never been put together.

1. Mix tapes!

What about you? What do you miss from the 80’s?

More Top 10 Lists from Jonathan:

Top 10 Places to Eat in the U.S.

Top Ten 70’s Terms We Need to Bring Back

Top 10 Words/Phrases You Don’t Wanna Use Anymore

Top 10 Signs I’m Turning 40

About Jonathan McKee

president of The Source for Youth Ministry, is the author of over twenty books including the brand new If I Had a Parenting Do Over, 52 Ways to Connect with Your Smartphone Obsessed Kid; Sex Matters; The Amazon Best Seller - The Guy's Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket; and youth ministry books like Ministry By Teenagers; Connect; and the 10-Minute Talks series. He has over 20 years youth ministry experience and speaks to parents and leaders worldwide, all while providing free resources for youth workers and parents on his websites, TheSource4YM.com and TheSource4Parents.com. You can follow Jonathan on his blog, getting a regular dose of youth culture and parenting help. Jonathan, his wife Lori, and their three kids live in California.
[Are you getting this daily blog in your email inbox?] If not, it's real easy-go here.
This entry was posted in Jonathan's Rant, Personal. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Top 10 Reasons Why Growing Up in the 80’s Ruled!

1. Wes says:

Parachute pants

Mullets

Levi’s button-fly 501 blues

Back then it was tight pants and baggy shirts, now its tight shirts and baggy pants…

• Patrick Garrett says:

Too true, Wes, I love it — the comment on clothing was bang on!

• What about Rags pant and O.P. shirts? Did anyone else where those? I wore then every day!!!!

• Donald Wood says:

Yeah, I had O.P. and Hang Ten clothing as well. I saw O.P. clothing on sale at Wal-Mart the other day… you know you’re getting old when the hottest name brands from high school are now available at Wal-Mart.

2. dan manns says:

mullets. permed mullets.

• Donald Wood says:

LOL.. that’s awesome.

• Ha…. the permed mullets. Those were hideous! I’m embarrassed enough to admit that I had a mullet… (even used to try to make it do the little poneytail in the back)… but never the permed mullet! That’s just too much 80’s crammed into one body!

• Donald Wood says:

LOL… 🙂

• Pam Harvey says:

Had to chime in on this one….Chris had a permed mullet at our wedding! 🙂

You forgot “Cheers” and “Miami Vice” in the TV line-up (Crockett was so much cooler than CSI’s Horatio)

Ninjas always referred to motorcycles – not guys dressed in black from head to toe (and you were oh so cool if you had one to cruise Greenback)

Ok – done being an ’80’s geek for now 🙂 I’m feeling too old! But thanks for the smile!

3. Donald Wood says:

80’s nostalgia… a golden era indeed… girls with big hair, stone washed denim, MTV actually played music instead of reality shows, no guy would ever dare have another guy for a prom date… ah, bygone days. Loved the shows you listed Jonathan; funny, I was just thinking of Simon & Simon this morning. Wes, let’s not forget the Members Only jacket to go with those parachute pants!

• My brother had a Member’s Only jacket. Once he went out of town and I borrowed it for the entire weekend without him knowing. I thought I was soooooooo styling that weekend! Especially the way my mullet laid across the top of the collar. 🙂

4. Scott says:

Jordache jeans!

5. Scott says:

Riptide

6. You are one funny guy. Thanks and bless you

7. Wes says:

I still remember looking @ old pics of my folks/Aunt’s and Uncles thinking “Why would they ever wear that?”

Now my kids aren’t just thinking it they are asking me why “those” clothes were considered cool?

Heck, there is a part of me that still thinks a mullet is cool. All I could muster now is a skullet. MMMMMMMMM those were the days

8. Heat sensitive t-shirts that change color while you wear them!
    Pee Wee Herman!

9. Jon Forrest says:

I thought I would retire at the age of 23 on my baseball card collection. Jams. Jam boxes. American gladiators. Actual Saturday morning cartoons. Toys that shot Dangerous ammo. cars that smoke. Smokers. Awesome cold war movies that made me never sleep again. “AVENGE MEEE!”

10. Tonya Berry says:

HUUUUUUUUUUUGE hair, tons of black eyeliner and so much lip gloss that we all looked like we had eaten pork chops with no hands. Electric Youth and Exclamation body sprays! “Taping stuff off” and getting music from the radio that way without anybody thinking you were a thief or having the FBI knocking down your door. Having a President who we all knew cared about us like a grandpa (Reagan) and had our country’s best interests in mind. Standing our collars up, pegging our pants and having school dances where you didn’t feel like you had just watched p*rn because you saw your friends dance together. Men who had longer, bigger hair, darker eyeliner and prettier lip gloss than I did. XD Music that was actually REALLY good – ESPECIALLY the Christian scene which rocked back then like it never has since with bands like Petra, STRYPER, Bloodgood, Whitecross and Bride. FREE Christian concerts that people actually showed up to! Huge cars that you could fit 8 or 9 friends into. Gas that was only 79 cents a gallon. Malls where stores were actually open. So yeah it sounds like we’re the same age Jonathon! 🙂

11. Tonya Berry says:

Oh yeah and I miss Pee Wee Herman too – back in the day when he was still considered family-friendly. 🙁