This Weekend I’m driving down to Southern California (SoCal) to preach at NorthPark Community Church and then teach my Parenting the Texting Generation workshop that evening (after the playoff games).
I spend a good chunk of that workshop giving parents a peek into the attitudes and trends of youth culture today. As I was doing some research this last week I fell across some interesting finds. Here’s just a few interesting tidbits from youth culture:
- Rihanna’s song We Found Love is still #1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart. This song has basically dominated the chart since November 6th of last year, with only a brief hiatus at #2 when Sexy and I Know It hit #1 for a short stint. I’ve written enough about Rihanna’s song before… no need to repeat. But it’s interesting how long it’s hung on.
- Sexy and I Know It is still the #1 downloaded video on iTunes, a reign that has lasted since shortly around Halloween of last year. If you haven’t seen this video, you might want to find out what it’s about, because most teenagers have seen it by now.
- As ubiquitous as Facebook is, teenagers still love “face to face” time with the people they care about. Funny, connecting with teenagers one-on-one is something so relevant to both youth and parenting ministry (that’s probably why parents and youth workers both buy my book, Connect).
- More and more experts are cautioning parents to limit their kids “media diet.”
- America still consumes more traditional television than any other media.
- Parents aren’t always the best role models for their kids.
I really love doing these parenting workshops and am looking forward to my time with parents this Sunday night. It’s always fun to provide a glimpse into that window of youth culture, and then give parents some tools to connect with their kids and build lasting values.
If you’re in driving distance of Magic Mountain (yeah, the church is right near there), then come and join us 7PM that night. Here are the details.
For the rest of you, I might be in your city soon. Here’s where I’m coming in the next few months:
January 22, 2012 (Valencia, CA)
Preach, Parent Workshop, NorthPark Community Church
February 12, 2012 (Hartland, WI)
Parent Workshop, Westbrook Church
March 4, 2012 (Fergus Falls, MN)
Preach, Parent Workshop, First Church of the Nazarene
March 25, 2012 (Wyandotte, MI)
Preach, Parent Workshop, First Baptist Church
April 1, 2012 (Ainsworth, NE)
Preach, Parent Workshop, Ainsworth Evangelical Free Church
April 22, 2012 (Fresno, CA)
Preach, Parent Workshop, First Presbyterian Church of Fresno