$1.99

A decade ago I wouldn’t understand this at all… but I almost did a backflip yesterday when I went to the gas station and saw only $1.99 per gallon.

I thought the days of less than $2 were gone. Once we passed $4… I thought that was the point of no return. This past summer I did several speaking trips where i remember putting gas in the tank for $4.60 a gallon. (ouch… it hurts just thinking about it!)

Being from California, most other states’ gas prices actually look pretty good comparitively. When i’m speaking in another state, it can be up to 50 cents a gallon cheaper. California is usually one of the highest.

That’s probably why I was soooooo ecstatic when it hit $1.99 at my local station yesterday.  (I wonder how low it is in other states right now?)

Imagine how happy I was when my I filled my Nissan Sentra for only this much!

Woohoo!!!! We have grocery money left!

About Jonathan McKee

president of The Source for Youth Ministry, is the author of over twenty books including the brand new If I Had a Parenting Do Over, 52 Ways to Connect with Your Smartphone Obsessed Kid; Sex Matters; The Amazon Best Seller - The Guy's Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket; and youth ministry books like Ministry By Teenagers; Connect; and the 10-Minute Talks series. He has over 20 years youth ministry experience and speaks to parents and leaders worldwide, all while providing free resources for youth workers and parents on his websites, TheSource4YM.com and TheSource4Parents.com. You can follow Jonathan on his blog, getting a regular dose of youth culture and parenting help. Jonathan, his wife Lori, and their three kids live in California.
[Are you getting this daily blog in your email inbox?] If not, it's real easy-go here.
This entry was posted in Humor, News, Personal. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to $1.99

1. Roger says:

I filled my SUV yesterday and the cost was $27.50 at $1.71 a gal. I don’t ever recall spending so little for gas on that vehicle to fill it up. Just in time for Thanksgiving too!!! 🙂

2. Paul Loeffler says:

$1.89 in Missoula, MT.

3. Swish says:

Hey Jonathan! I started following your blog after I read “Getting Students to Show Up” in May. Unfortunately, I didn’t have much of a chance to put the principles in action before I got moved and now serve as a senior pastor elsewhere. Anyhoo, in central IN yesterday, I was able to get gas for $1.58. Just wondering when the other shoe is going to drop… Is that cynical?

4. Gordon Gathright says:

Hey Jon!! In the Twin Cities of Minnesota, gas in some places is $1.62 a gallon and continuing to go down.

I love it!! Whoever thought cheap gas would look like $1.62 a gallon.

5. Kevin Becht says:

So if I told you I just paid $1.68 in Indiana – would that merit multiple backflips … with a round-off end (or whatever that’s called)?

6. mike says:

$1.39 in KC MO

7. chris says:

$1.89. In California. In the Bay Area, no less.

8. Paul says:

I live in south Africa and our gas prices went up a lot and then dropped a bit again. We are still just below $1 per liter for LRP or unleaded. Our guys were complaining big time about breaking the R 10 barrier. Imagine that. Great blog and great ministry. Keep it up man.

9. Trevor says:

Will it make you feel even better about it if I tell you I got gas yesterday for 2.19? Yep southern Oregon means more expensive than even California…at least right now.